Each year, I like to sink into the Christmas spirit in formal wear at my home alongside some friends and family. A few highlights are important to hit each year, hot cocoa and peppermint schnapps, a simple menu of cheese, meats and crackers, a spiral cut ham, and a group photo.
In the days following – as I continue to munch on the spoils of leftover finger foods – comes the Split Pea Soup from Heffe’s mama’s recipe box.
- 2 1/2 Cups green split peas
- 2 1/2 Cups cold water
- 2 1/2 Cups White Wine
- 1 Onion Finely Chopped
- 2 Carrots Finely Chopped
- 1 Stalk Celery w/ Leaves, Finely Chopped
- 1 Meaty Ham Bone
- Herbs de Provence, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Layer split peas, onions, carrots, ham bone & then celery into slow cooker.
- Pour over Water and Wine, do not cover Ham Bone
- Place on High for 5/6 hours or Low for 8-10 hours
- Remove bone & press mixture through food mill
- Return to slow cooker pot
- If needed, season w/ more salt & pepper
- Garnish w/ croutons